Monday, June 2, 2014

Man From Up North

One of the reasons I haven't been posting much is because unfortunately recently I've only been hearing/experiencing negative things. I was not going to share this story but I thought I might as well so others can see what people think of when they look at Sikhs.

A couple of months ago I was out shopping with my mum. A white man in his 40s came up to us and started chatting as if we had known him. After a couple of minutes he said where are you from? We said that we we're local. He then said "It's good to see Sikhs around, especially in turbans. I'm from Wolverhampton (atleast that's what I think he said) and we have Sikhs everywhere. They sure can drink a hell of a lot though. I went to a friend's wedding a few weeks ago and some of the men couldn't even walk properly. I just remember seeing turbans everywhere and alcohol bottles."

At this point I sort of stood there not knowing what to say, I just felt like putting my head down. My mum explained that that's not something that Sikhs do and they can't really call themselves Sikhs.

It was quite a distressing situation but interesting(?) to know what people think when they see a Dastaar.

No comments:

Post a Comment