Friday, September 12, 2014

First Time Hearing Akhand Keertan

It was new year's eve 2005/6 and there was a handful of sangat in the dabar hall. The local auntiya are doing Keertan and not many people seem interested. I'm sitting towards the back in a massive coat, tiny dastaar and goatee.

Suddenly 3 Singhs arrive on stage with beautiful flowing beards and pure white clothing. This is not the norm in this little Gurdwara.

The auntiya get off and the Singhs start, someone turns off the light. From the first word the Singh sang it had struck a chord in my heart. They're doing Keertan by memory, and faster than usual, what is this? The words they're singing, I'm finding them too powerful. They're not looking around the room, seeing if anyone is listening, they're just sitting there with their eyes closed. This is very different.

Then they start doing Simran, quite fast with a lot of love. So this is Simran? I could feel my soul move within my body. It was coming up to 12.00, the Simran got faster and faster, louder and louder. It felt like no one else was there. Just me in this big hall, with the King sitting on the Throne as the light shone down.

That day, God had pulled me into his arms. Tears stroll down my face. Why did they have to stop?

prabh keejai kirapaa nidhhaan ham har gun gaavehagae ||
O God, Treasure of Mercy, please bless me, that I may sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord.
ho thumaree karo nith aas prabh mohi kab gal laavehigae ||1|| rehaao ||
I always place my hopes in You; O God, when will you take me in Your Embrace? ||1||Pause||


The next day at work, I was working on the fragrance department and I just wanted to do Simran the whole time I was there.

Luckily, I was going through my old computer and found the video recording I made of it. It was nearly 10 years and video technology was a new thing on phones, hence the bad quality.

Vaheguroo.






No comments:

Post a Comment