Friday, August 10, 2012

Sikhs Don't Drink!

I was helping covering a class for a colleague of mine that was on holiday. I had not been with this class before but they all seemed very nice and interesting. As I was sitting with one particular group supporting them with their work, the boys started to get off topic and talk about one of their 17th birthday parties. He was (in my opinion) 'showing off' how he had spent £300 in one night on alcohol. He was saying that he was so drunk the next day he couldn't even walk properly. What a weird thing to brag about! As they worked their way around the table each student took turns to share a lovely experience of them getting so 'hammered' they could not remember a thing.
As it came to my turn, the guy who was talking about his 17th birthday party asked me "So what do you drink and how much do you drink?" On the table behind was a student who was very quiet and pretty much did not say a word the whole lesson. From out of nowhere he said (in quite a loud voice) "He doesn't drink! What does he need to drink for?! He's Sikh!" Everyone, including myself, was quite shocked to hear a quiet student come out with something like that. I was even more shocked that someone who was not Sikh came out with that. Everyone just looked at me as if to say "Huh? Is that true?!"

This experience made me think for a while. How amazing and unique is that that someone who is not a Sikh knows that Sikhs do not go anywhere near alcohol! Rather than the thousands upon thousands of "Sikhs" that do not even know that. Vaheguroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment